Saturday, March 3, 2012

HALF WAY!!!!

Actually, I am one week more than half way through my dietetic internship!!!!! yay!!! 5 more months!

 I just finished the GI/Surgery rotation so I saw a lot of patients with bowel resections, gastric by-pass/wt loss surgeries. I also went to a medical wt loss clinic where I followed the MD around as she assessed the status of patients with lap bands and patients on weight loss medication. It definitely made me appreciate my fully intact bowels and healthy BMI. :) Actually, all of my clinical rotations have made me appreciate how well my body and all my organs function because there is so much that can go wrong. ALSO, I started calculating and ordering tube feeds this week! pretty exciting!

 I will be in the ICU/CCU for the next 2 weeks which I am pretty excited about because first of all, most of the nurses are nice there and more available to help me (each nurse has fewer patients than in the rest of the hospital). Plus the patient's conditions are more complex and interesting AND I will start working with the pharmacist in ordering TPN (total peripheral nutrition) AKA nutrition fed through the veins when the gut is not functioning! Wish me luck!

Additional exciting news:  us interns had to put together a meeting for the Southern Arizona Dietetic Association and we got Dr. Michelle May to come and speak to us. If you haven't heard of Dr. May, she has written several books and been on Dr.Oz and other similar cool things for her views on Mindful Eating. She didn't really address anything a dietitian wouldn't already know but she did have great analogies and ways for us to promote healthy eating in our practice. Plus, it is always a good reminder to eat more mindfully and listen to our bodies natural hunger cues. I would definitely recommend her book which is similar in nature to Ellyn Satter's theories addressed in her book "Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family" except more geared to adults rather than raising children with healthy eating habits. check Dr. May out at http://amihungry.com/.

All the interns at our meeting- We got one with Dr.May but I haven't got it yet..

No comments:

Post a Comment